Casts: Farhan Akhtar, Sonam Kapoor and Meesha Shafi
Banner: Viacom 18 Motion Pictures and Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra Pictures
Director: Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra
Producer: Rajeev Tandon and P S Bharathi
Writers: Prasoon Joshi
Music: Shankar, Ehsaan, Loy
Release Date: 12th July 2013
Story line: “Bhaag Milkha Bhaag” (English: Run Milkha Run) is an upcoming Indian biographical, sports film on the former Indian athlete Milkha Singh. The film has been produced and directed by Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra. The script is written by Prasoon Joshi. The film stars Farhan Akhtar, Sonam Kapoor and Meesha Shafi. Milkha Singh sold the story for just one rupee. The remuneration from the film will be used for the benefit of needy athletes. The name of the film comes from the last words spoken by his father, which was to save his life during the riots of Partition of India. During the partition, Singh lost his family members. The story talks about his perseverance as an athlete and also as a courageous human spirit
Know more about the Captain of the Ship, the Director: Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra (born 7 July 1963) is an Indian filmmaker and screenwriter. He is best known for writing and directing “Rang De Basanti” (2006), for which he won Best Director awards at the 2006 Film fare Awards and National Film Awards and received a BAFTA Award nomination for Best Foreign Language Film. He is also the writer and director of the films “Aks” (2001) and Delhi-6 (2009).
Facts And Figures:
• Prasoon Joshi is the story, screen play, lyrics and dialogue writer of this movie.
• Milkha Singh took Rs 1 to allow this Biopic movie to be made.
• USP of the movie are: A story on living legend Milkha Singh, Farahan Akhtan putting heart and soul in bringing the character alive on screen and film is backed by creative minds like Rakish Omprakash Mehra and Prasson Joshi.
• Film promotions has been done quite extensively in last 2 months which would sure sort give a bumper opening to this movie.
My “Gut Feel” and preview:
Indian cinema has witnessed very few sports oriented quality films and this time it looks like one more movie would register its place in that limited edition. Going by the promos it looks like that lot of hard work along with ground level details have been followed as the mantra to make it stand out which ensures and promises towards it being a good movie.
I always value the credentials of the director and as we look back at the work done by Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra it has been a roller coaster ride.
• “AKS” in 2001 was experimental and it was evident that audience of 2001 was not ready for that kind of cinema
• “Rang de Basanti” was a path breaker in its own by setting a new tone of expressing public grievance – “Candle light march” at India Gate
• “Delhi 6” had a good plot but was not able to touch audiences soul and lost the flavor of the eventual taste one had in the beginning. Climax was the stone that had drowned the movie.
With “Bhaag Milkha Bhaag” (Run Milkha Run) it looks like that Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra has hit the right cord once again this time. It appears that he has woven Milkha Singh’s real life story beautifully in the reel world. This movie should appeal to both masses and classes. Although it is an endeavoring task for a movie to hold the front for over 2 hours with today’s intellectual audience, it looks like “Bhaag Milkha Bhaag” would triumph this benchmark.
As I go by my “Gut Feel” I am expecting a well narrated story with some nail biting moments. It is not too boastful to say that this movie would join the league of very few remarkable sports oriented movies such as “Chak de India” and “Paan Singh Tomar”.
I would give this movie 4 out of 5 stars, five days before the release.