Casts: Shilpa Shukla, Rajesh Sharma, Dibyendu Bhattacharya.
Banner: Tonga Talkies
Director: Ajay Bahl
Producer: Ajay Bahl
Music: Alokananda Dasgupta
Screen Play Writer: Ritesh Shah
Release Date: 2nd Aug 2013
Story line: A young small town boy moves to Delhi to stay with his aunt and finish his college. Soon he is seduced by a mysterious married woman known to him as Sarika ‘Aunty’. Set amidst the neon-lit by lanes of Delhi’s Paharganj unfolds an erotic human drama between the two. A relationship based on lust, lies and deceit is forged. As the young boy gets more and more entrenched into his surroundings he discovers a city that thrives on corrupting even the most naive and innocent.
Facts And Figures:
• Films length is 1.5 hours which leads to less chances of dragged movie which went against most of the Bollywood typical commercial movies.
• This film is based on short story, The Railway Aunty by Mohan Sikka, published in 2009 anthology, Delhi Noir edited by Hirsh Sawhney.
• At the 2012 Osian’s Cinefan Festival of Asian and Arab Cinema, the won the Best Film Award n ‘Indian competition’ section, while debutante Shadab Kamal won the Best Actor award.
• Later at the 2012 Montreal World Film Festival the film was part of the ‘First Films World Competition, where it was nominated for the Golden Zenith for the Best First Fiction Feature Film.
• In January 2013, at the first South Asian Film Festival held in Paris it won The Prix Du Public (voted best film by the French Audience).
• Irony is that this movie touched almost complete glob however struggled to release in India. Its released date has moved thrice and now finally releasing on 2nd August 2013.
• This movie is releasing in the week where lot of small budget movies are releasing. Same was a case with last week which would impact the box office fate of this movie and with so many releases the changes increase that this movie goes unnoticed at theaters.
My Gut Feel and comments:
This film is already critically applauded which supports the fact that it is a good film which virtually influences my judgment for this movie. Although we are evolving however still there is a distinction and a huge gap in our sensibility and international cinema audience. This movie has proved its metal on international ground however same was a case with Udaan, pan singh Tomar and many more which were ironically finding difficulties in getting the screen shares in India.
In last 3 to 4 years audiences has expected movie of this sensibility with open heart however still there is a long way to go. I use this platform to preview the movie on the bases of my gut feel for the movie however I would not rate this movie as it’s already released internationally and reviewed by known critics.